SQL Database restore from 2000 to 2005
During my current assignment , I was working on SQL Server database restore from an old SQL Server DB to SQL 2005 . Here are few things you need to consider .
First of all plan what additionals Service Packs for new version you need based on SQL 2005 Version. Use the following statement to get curent version of your SQL Server.
SELECT SERVERPROPERTY(‘productversion’), SERVERPROPERTY (‘productlevel’), SERVERPROPERTY (‘edition’)
- Consider Database Collation in previous and new version.
- Create a Back up (.dmp file) from source database.
- Define the path of Database (.mdf file) and Log File ( .ldf) file under Database Options (Properties) for database .
- Restore the back up using “Add device” and select the .dmp File .
- Verify the data after restore .
As an alternative step you restore Database from Transact SQL also . But I personally prefer SQL Server Management Studio 🙂